Monday, May 18, 2009

Ah, The Things You'll Find...

...on a spring perimeter walk of the property. When I bought my house, the previous owners told me about the raspberries all around the woods' edge. For a 3-4 week period last year, I had fresh picked raspberries every day. Raspberries in my cereal, my oatmeal, my ice cream. It was wonderful. Over this past weekend, I spotted this:


Doesn't look like much, does it? There will be raspberries in this location in the early summer. But look a little closer, at those little pops of red. On closer inspection, this is what I saw:

How beautiful. This could be a type of Columbine, though my research also calls this wildflower a Larkspur. It's definitely reminiscent in look to the columbines found out west, though this plant is fairly small. But look at it up close:


This is a beautiful flower and was such a lovely surprise to come across as I walked around. Now, I don't want to give the lilacs short shrift; they are truly coming into their own right now. I have your basic lilac-colored lilac, a white one that has tiny flower petals, and a deep purple that is absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, the two deep purple lilacs are near the road and quite overgrown. I may have to cut them back and risk losing them. They are very old growth and very tall - they are just short of touching the wires on the poles at the street. What to do. Here's a photo of some lilacs. I know we've seen them all before, but they are such a pretty flower. It's a shame they are so short-lived:

No comments: