Monday, June 8, 2009

Make Our Garden Grow

Certainly one of the greatest finales in musical theater is the song "Make Our Garden Grow" that thrillingly and beautifully closes Leonard Bernstein's "Candide". This operetta of Voltaire's novella is far more popular and appreciated now than when it first premiered in 1956. It's smart and funny and has an amazing score by Bernstein. He was such a genius.

I think of this song now every day when I go out to my garden. I started modestly this year with the vegetables, and have not gone crazy with the flowers because I want to do justice to the vegetables. I started many of the plants in my four raised beds from seed down in the basement, so I feel intimately invested in this effort. Also, Dana and Darryl and I built the beds, and I put in a lot of back-breaking work filling them up with a rich soil mix. And I am the queen of weeding, at least so far this growing season. We'll see how long that lasts.

So, following are some photos from the garden. I'll post more as the growing season continues.


Yes, my garden ornaments tend to be dog-related. ;-)


As we looked at the four finished beds, Darryl commented about how nice it would be to have benches linking the beds together. A grand idea, come to fruition:


With Fred and Homer zooming through the garden, and under those benches, I'm going to need to put another inch or two of mulch down!


I couldn't resist...a new photo of the new boy, Homer:


You might have noticed about 12 inches of plastic chicken wire around the tops of the beds. I made them 16 inches high to keep the big Bailey dog from peeing all over my vegetables. The chicken wire is to keep the dogs from eating my rich, and apparently delicious, soil. Fred was perfectly happy eating the dirt on the ground before. Now, he likes to take a mouthful from the garden. And he has taught Bailey about the glories of eating fine soil. Grrrr.

Happy gardening!

No comments: