Thursday, January 22, 2009

This Must Be What A Miracle Feels Like


Look at them. Two people that I admire greatly, Hillary's first day at the State Department. And beyond my admiration for these two, for the first time in years - 8 years - I feel like the people in charge of how we deal with the rest of the world actually want to do what is best for the United States and the world and not what's best for themselves. I think of Hillary Clinton sitting down with world leaders and how the instructions from her boss are so different from what Condoleeza Rice was sent to do. I do feel bad for Rice; she is no dummy, even though she often acted badly, and wrongly, based on her boss's (that would be Dick Cheney) direction.

But beyond the horror of our foreign policy these last 8 years and how I know we are so quickly on a better track, it is wonderful to watch these two together. Look at them. I don't see an ounce of bitterness left in Hillary in this photo. It's so great. And there really shouldn't be any hint of bitterness left. Hillary Clinton has a job now that she is close to perfectly suited for. The 94-2 vote in the Senate had to have been so gratifying to her. She was my first choice for president, but when she lost the nomination it was an easy switch for me to support Obama. And his confidence in her was clear in his choice for Secretary of State.

I am giddy with happiness. What can I say?

No comments: