Monday, April 13, 2009

Spoleto Festival USA is Fast Approaching

More on Spoleto Festival later this week. The big news is that the Vanneman sisters are doing a "Sisters Weekend" at Spoleto Festival in Charleston, SC over Memorial Day weekend. Suffice it to say that we are excited. Deb, Dana and I have been to Spoleto several times in the past, but this will be Diane's first time visiting and her first chance to enjoy the cultural overload of Spoleto Festival and its sister event, Piccolo Spoleto. And I have good friends down there and can't wait to see them (I miss you guys!) and enjoy some true Southern hospitality.

Though I am an avid photographer, I have taken very few pictures over the many years that I have been visiting Charleston. It's a beautiful city, with churches and their lovely steeples rising above the city's historic architecture. It's known as "The Holy City" because of the preponderance of churches and for its long-held tradition of religious tolerance. I love walking the historic district, I love the Battery, the farmer's market at Marion Square, the great, great eating establishments (Il Cortile del Re is one of my favorites). But being in Charleston during Spoleto Festival is something altogether special.

This is my sister Dana:
This photo was taken during a Spoleto Festival trip a few years ago. We saw 8 concerts in 3 days. We stayed in a lovely carriage house rental just across from the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist on Legare Street, where we saw a candlelight concert at midnight. It's important to catch a rest during Spoleto Festival, because you do tend to run around a bit trying to catch everything that you want to catch. And it can be hot in Charleston, in case you haven't heard.

As promised, more on Spoleto Festival later.

1 comment:

Spoleto USA said...

Thanks for the shout out! See you in Charleston!
www.spoletousa.org