Friday, April 3, 2009

We Have Liftoff

Er...rather, we have germination! See?


This is a Valencia tomato, one of four, or is it five, different heirloom tomatoes that I am growing from seed in the basement. I am also starting a plain round red tomato (Celebrity), San Marzano (red plum) and also a yellow plum-like tomato. I also currently have peppers, leeks, rosemary, sage and thyme started downstairs. Also, some violas (edible) and bee balm. I will start marigolds later, too. Just about everything else I am planting this year can be started from seed outside. This includes spring onions, zucchini and squash, basil, arugula, other greens.

Darryl, Dana and I finished the four raised beds. The wood I used is from a local sawmill. It's rough-cut, and pieces of it still have the bark. I think it adds a lot of character to the garden area:

I am so excited (and hopeful) about the growing season. I recognize that there could be trouble with pests and disease and the weather, but I am still very excited.

No comments: