Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Beautiful Summer Day

On this sad day when I mourn the loss of Senator Ted Kennedy I find myself enjoying one of the nicest days this summer. We had a little rain, but in between that rain I mowed the front yard, did a little weed whacking, took a break when it got too wet, then finished the back yard. I let Homer stay out of his crate while I mowed the back, and he was a good boy and didn't chew anything he wasn't supposed to. The boys then enjoyed a really pretty, bug free afternoon outside. Fred and Homer played chase and tennis ball. Bailey rolled around in the freshly mown grass. Miller did an unexpected perimeter walk along the fence, and then trotted down the hill. He really seems to get a kick out of doing that. He looks all 6 of his 16+ years when he does it. Adorable.

The garden looked really pretty today. Yes, my stakes for tomatoes are bare, but other things in the garden look terrific, and I have been harvesting vegetables and herbs from it for some time now. I just made a zucchini and asparagus salad from zucchini from my garden. I should consider asparagus for the garden...I certainly eat enough of it.

I present to you, the glories of the garden:






Yes, that is Fred, that white and orange blotch in the middle of the picture. He wouldn't come in when the rest of the lot came in. I took this shot through the screen on the porch. Fred likes the garden...he and Homer use the paths as their own Le Mans course. But what Fred really likes, as you've heard before, is the sun. He stayed out about fifteen minutes longer than his brothers, resting, undisturbed by his little brother Homer, who can be a pest because he wants to play almost all of the time they are outside.

It was a nice day for all. I spent some of it crying about Ted Kennedy, but a lot more of it contemplating what a good man and public servant he was. And hearing about him all day, and reading about him on the internet, it made me wonder what exactly it is that is so wrong with wanting to give every American access to good and affordable health insurance.

No comments: