Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lazy, Rainy Day

I've spent much of today in "my" chair. I mowed the lawn this morning, just before the rains came. It's been raining ever since. I've watched a little golf: The Women's British Open, where the first person ever from Scotland, Catriona Matthew, won, just ten weeks after giving birth to her second child. That's very impressive, don't you think? And now I'm watching the U.S. Senior Open. I've also been surfing the net. And I've also been watching the dogs play and sleep, time I really do enjoy. It's getting later in the afternoon, and Miller, the 16+ year old, is staring at me because he knows it's time for me to get up off my butt and take him and his brothers out so that he doesn't end up eating dinner late. He is pretty funny, and has an amazing appetite for an old guy.

I made dinner last night for four: my sister Dana, my sister Deb, her boyfriend Darryl and me. I made thyme roasted chicken, skin on, bone in, and I'll probably never do chicken in the oven any other way again, except for changing out the herbs. Maybe. I made sage mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables sauteed in garlic and olive oil: broccoli, a red and yellow bell pepper and a zucchini from the garden. The thyme and sage were also both from the garden. We enjoyed a delicious New York State wine with dinner. We also had a lemon/coconut cake for Dana's birthday and a sort of cheese course: a lovely cranberry-walnut bread, toasted, with mascarpone cheese. Yum.

Tonight I'm cooking a pork roast with green beans from the garden and jasmine rice.

Okay. I've got to go. Miller is still...hovering.

No comments: