Wednesday, November 16, 2011

White Bean Chicken (or Turkey) Chili

Yum.

I believe this is now my third pot of white bean chicken (or turkey) chili this fall/winter season. I love herbs and spices and different ones are favorites throughout the year. I love fresh basil in the summer, and eat caprese salads throughout the season, with tomatoes from the grocery store and then the farmers markets early in the summer and from my own garden later. I adore thyme and rosemary. I have some of Ina Garten's incredible Mustard Chicken Salad in the fridge right now, made with French tarragon from my garden; it's absolutely incredible. I will prepare a garlic, olive oil and mixed herb rub for meats when all the herbs are in season in the garden. A favorite side? Cannellini beans with fresh sage and really good olive oil. But right now I have a thing for a spice from my pantry: cumin. Cumin screams Mexican food, and I do love good Mexican, or Tex-Mex (I did live in Texas for a year). This chili is so easy to do and so delicious. And it's quite different from your typical chili: it has spinach (or swiss chard, if you can get it) and corn, and the recommended cheese to finish it with is parmigiano, which is unusual for chili. I like parmigiano, cheddar or even a mild cheese like monterey jack works. But it only needs a little - the chili tastes great all by itself; all you need is a bowl and a spoon. And maybe a nice glass of wine ... I like a dry riesling or rose, but I think it can stand up to a good but not overly bold red. But truly, it is the cumin that makes this so special. And I have been using cumin lately a lot when I make tacos (corn tortillas only - please! - which in our white-bread area of upstate NY are hard to find): fish tacos, shrimp tacos, chicken tacos, all well-seasoned with cumin and chili powder. Burritos, too. Yes, I believe my taste for the spicy will fit right in in New Mexico.

The recipe I use for this delicious chili (no, I did not come up with this all by myself ... I like to cook, but I am not Ina Garten or Giada DiLaurentiis!) is one from Giada, and you can find it here on the Food Network website:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-and-chicken-chili-recipe/index.html

Enjoy. I know I will!

No comments: