Monday, November 14, 2011

Wind Chimes

I have always been fond of wind chimes. I've purchased only quality ones for years now. I cannot tolerate the sound of a cheap set, that lame 'tinkle' sound. Ugh. Or those wooden ones that have more of a 'clunky' sound. I have a lovely wind chime made by a friend given to me by another friend, made of pieces of colored glass hanging from a piece of driftwood. It's beautiful and has a lovely sound when the glass clinks together. It's reminiscent of the sound of champagne glasses chiming after a toast, especially when there are different levels of champers in each glass.



I have a set of wind chimes I purchased years ago during a visit to Charleston, SC for Spoleto Festival. As those of you who know me well are fully aware, I love Charleston and I love Spoleto Festival. And we never visit this charming and sophisticated southern city without hitting the shops at the market. One of these shops had a huge, make that, HUGE wind chime for sale. The sound it made was incredible. And I just had to have it. Luckily, the shop agreed to ship it to my home.

It really does sound like beautiful church bells. Pretty ones, with a great sustained sound. They are hung out on the front porch, right outside the living room. These last days we have had some pretty stiff breezes; the weather forecast says that the winds are 10-20 miles per hour. Needless to say, we have had beautiful music going all weekend, and expect these gorgeous sounds to continue for another couple of days as these breezes of up to 20 mph are forecast to continue at least that long.

The sound is mesmerizing, relaxing. Just lovely.

2 comments:

Tom and Dolores said...

Love the way the "Jewels for the garden" looks hanging in your beautiful yard and reflecting the sun. Denise, I am so glad you have begun updating your blog once again! It’s always so enjoyable reading your eloquently worded writing. You make it all so vivid, from the spices, the boys, and the garden. What a wonderful trip the mind takes while reading your blog! Thank you for providing such reading enjoyment.

woodstock wind chimes said...

You really have a lovely garden and the pictures show the great joyous atmosphere there. Your blog is really good too, your wording is very vivid and you can see more than the pictures are showing.

Unfortunately that tinkle sound is what i wake up too sometimes and rather than soothing me back to sleep i just need to go to the toilet! I will have to invest in a better set.