Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pure genius

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFPzYNrQigg&feature=related



Even if you don't like opera, you have to admit that this performance of "Di quella pira" from the opera "Il Trovatore" by Giuseppe Verdi is magnificent. Luciano Pavarotti was the great tenor of his time, and, for me, the great tenor of all time. His phrasing in Italian was absolutely gorgeous. His French was also pretty good (check out "Ah mes amis" from Donizetti's "La fille du regiment", also available on You Tube...see note below).



I adored Pavarotti. I only saw him in one opera, Puccini's "Tosca" in Philadelphia. Those of us who lived in the Philadelphia area during the height of Pavarotti's career were so lucky. He spent a lot of time in Philly; it's where his international voice competition was based. I saw him in recital many, many times. And I have to thank my Italian language teachers in high school, John Mazzotta and especially Cesarina DeCesero for their part in bringing opera into my life. It's certainly not the only music I listen to, it's not even what I listen to most these days, but I'm pretty sure I feel the most emotion when I put on a Pavarotti recording. Of course, when you do that you are often gifted with another great singer in the process: Joan Sutherland, Mirella Freni, Placido Domingo, Marilyn Horne.



Beautiful stuff.

While you're at You Tube you might feel the need to check out the other performances of "Di quella pira" while you're there. Please do. Once you do, you will truly understand why this one is so very special. Also, I do recommend checking out this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c6NkMeR2Z0M. It's a little long, but this is the famous "La fille du regiment" aria with 9 high C's.

No comments: