Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Winter Wonderland

What a day. See?


I cannot express how pleased I am to see all of this snow. I love it. I truly do live in a winter wonderland. I spent about an hour shoveling and clearing my driveway and making paths for the dogs to get out into the yard to do their business. Fred felt it was his special job for the day to make sure that all the paths were passable - at light speed! He was adorable running around and trying out each way to go. Once he zoomed past a new way to go and I swear I heard the "screech" sound in the air, and I think I may have seen smoke when he stopped, and then made his way as fast as he could down a new path. He is such a cutie-pie. And Bailey and Miller had fun in the snow, too.

Joyful times in Willsboro.

Also today, I made beef stew in my slow cooker. I used an Ina Garten (of Barefoot Contessa fame) recipe from her chef at her restaurant. Her recipe isn't for use in a slow cooker, but I made it that way anyway. It starts with placing the beef in wine, garlic and bay leaves and marinating overnight. It has other wonderful things as well - sundried tomatoes, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce. Very savory, rich beef stew. We didn't eat it today - I made it for tomorrow. Well, okay, I taste-tested it. It's excellent. You can find the recipe on the Food Network listed as Parker's Beef Stew/Ina Garten. Yum.



2 comments:

Dutch said...

Denise promised to save me some. I'm looking forward to trying this after my cold goes away. Those who haven't had Denise's cooking are missing out on some GREAT meals.

Denise V. said...

Why thank you, Dutch. That was awful nice of you to say. I do love to cook, especially for an appreciative audience like Dutch. I did put some stew in a container in the freezer, but I made enough that we'll be enjoying some more on Saturday, just in time for (hopefully) a nice, big snowfall. Yippee (as Bailey, Miller and Fred would say).

Denise