Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Great Gardening Weekend

Yes, in spite of today's little hail storm in Willsboro, it was still a great gardening weekend.

On Friday, Darryl and I went to Beebe's Sawmill in Moriah to pick up my rough cut wood for the raised beds. My raised beds are 16" high so that I can keep tall dogs from peeing on my vegetables. We picked up this beautiful hemlock, pre-cut to 4 foot lengths. That's 32 4 foot lengths of 2 X 8 wood, rough cut so some of the bark still shows, which is cool, and 16 2 X 4 posts, for $136! That is an amazing price, plus, the wood is really 2 inches because it's not finished or planed down like you get with store-bought lumber. It was great going there, the people are very friendly, and the resident dog Sarah was a sweetheart.

Then on Saturday, Darryl came over and he, Dana and I started building the beds. We finished two of the 4 foot by 4 foot beds. Darryl and I are hoping for nice weather on Wednesday so that we can get the other two done.

After our labors, Darryl cooked up some bratwurst on the grill, and I made some potatoes and we had some sauerkraut for a nice German dinner. With beer, of course!

And today, I spent most of the day in the basement. Dana helped me get the lights positioned properly from the ceiling over the table that will hold my seedlings. Today I got a whole bunch of different tomatoes, yellow and red bell peppers and rosemary seeds into pots. I am doing this for the first time, so I am sort of keeping my fingers crossed. My basement stays at a consistent 60 degrees, so I fear it might be too cool. I'm back and forth about buying the heat mats, but I think I should, at least for the peppers and tomatoes.

So, even though we had snow and hail today, it was still all about gardening for me! And as the season progresses, I'll be putting a few more things in the basement to get a head start on the garden. How exciting!

No comments: