Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Celebrity

I posted this in email form, but I thought I'd put it here, too.

Not all that much goes on up here in Willsboro, New York. Well, this is not altogether true. Lots goes on, really, and in the winter it has a lot to do with snow!

But even up here in my little town, we have a celebrity. And a pretty big one. George Hearn, the great Broadway star, two-time Tony Award winner, Emmy Award winner and all-around talented fellow, lives just down the road. His house is not more than 10 minutes from mine (yes, I am practicing my stalker skills and took a drive by). Nice house. :)

Here is some more information about him at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hearn

You can also see assorted recorded performances of his if you search You Tube.

My sisters, Deb, Dana, and I saw him on Broadway in his Tony Award winning performance as Max in Sunset Boulevard (the character played by Erich von Stroheim in the movie version).

And last year, not too long after Dana and I moved up here, we saw him in a reading of Samuel Beckett's Endgame. It was a benefit for restoration of the Whallonsburg Grange Hall and it was fabulous. And I saw him one day at the meat market, which is just a couple of buildings down from my house. I was so shocked to see him that I didn't say anything (damn). He smiled at me and I smiled back, and then he took his two gallons of milk (he has two sons at home) and headed to the checkout.

So, the actual news and the reason I am posting today is that Dana has auditioned for a part in a performance of "Mame" up here in Willsboro. The stars of the show you ask? Why George Hearn and his wife Leslie, who was also a perfomer on Broadway. Dana has been cast as Cousin Fan. She also has been given a prime bit part as the third performer in a song with Leslie and a secondary lead. Dana has a long and varied resume in community theater and a very good singing voice. She says that she thinks she's the "go-to" singer for when they need stuff.

I just think it's so cool. I have instructed Dana that should there be an opportunity at any point during rehearsals to get George or Leslie or both of them over here to the house, she is to do it. :) I have been a fan since seeing him on Broadway. His voice is amazing, and based on seeing him before the performance of Endgame and at the meat market, he seems like a right nice fellow.

Not to be outdone by Dana and her news, I have been busy selecting seeds for my vegetable garden. :|

I hope everyone reading this is well and enjoying your winter, whatever weather it has brought you. This has been a grand and enjoyable winter so far up here in the north country of New York State. We have loads of snow, the dogs are loving it so long as it stays above about 15 Fahrenheit...any colder and they zoom out for a quick pee and are back on the porch in a flash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the area! George & Leslie are very nice people. I am sure that you will have the opportunity to get to know them.