Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Glamour

I'll have more to say about last night's Academy Awards show, but this post is about how beautiful the stars looked last night. I've been reading up on some of the female stars who were there, and now I understand a little bit better why so many of them looked so good.

Did you remember Supporting Actress winner Penelope Cruz's dress? It's this beauty:

This dress is a 60-year-old vintage Pierre Balmain gown. I think it is absolutely stunning. And I think she was so smart to go with a vintage gown. With the economy the way it is, I appreciate that thousands and thousands, often tens of thousands, of dollars weren't spent on something new. This dress is as beautiful if not more so than anything else on the red carpet last night. She was also wearing $3 million in Fred Leighton diamonds (loaned). Gorgeous. It just so happens that her performance was the only one I saw this year of the supporting actress nominees. I loved "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". I thought all the leads were wonderful (especially Javier Bardem, be still my heart), but Penelope Cruz was mesmerizing every time she was on screen. She was amazing and I was very happy to see her win.

Just a couple of more comments about fashion. The female star of "Slumdog Millionaire" was wearing a ring that was 150 years old. That's pretty cool.

Amy Adams had the most amazing necklace in a night filled with beautiful necklaces. Most everyone went with diamonds, Angelina Jolie's stunning emeralds nothwithstanding. But Amy didn't wear just diamonds and emeralds. She wore diamonds and emeralds and rubies and sapphires. All that color with the beautiful red dress. Definitely not a nun.

Marisa Tomei had another stunning gown, Versace with a long, pleated train. She wore the following vintage Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry: a 1941 diamond and sapphire bracelet, a 1960 diamond ring and 1973 lapis and diamond earrings.

Not everybody was a hit on the red carpet. What the heck was Reese Witherspoon thinking? And it wasn't just the dress, but the hair, her eye make-up. Yuck.

More on the show and the winners later.

No comments: